For Details about the Reunion: visit http://www.sclcscope50th.org
If anyone knows the whereabouts of the following people who worked in the South on the SCLC Summer Community Organization and Education (SCOPE) project please let them know that they are warmly welcome to join our gathering. One hundred are already registered. Highlights will include Veterans Roll Call, Memorial Circle, Workshop-Discussions, Music, Mass Meeting, panels with SCLC and SCOPE veterans and more.
SCLC SCOPE PROJECT ROSTER From the archives of John Worcester who recieved this in Wilcox County late June-early July 1965. These names are from a yellow legal pad with the same pencil handwriting for all names. Camden was a distribution center for several counties and home of Daniel Harrell SCLC SCOPE field director for 7 AL Counties. There are typos and errors but I have left them as written. John Worcester recalls that this list was to be used if there was some problem and relatives of volunteers had to be contacted, or if those on the list were harmed. Very few of these workers worked in Wilcox County and some may never have been in Wilcox at all. I have deleted their parents’ addresses for privacy.Except where otherwise noted, a small “Scope” was penciled to the left of each 1. Counties where they were assigned are under some names.
1. Terry Lamm Monroe County [ Found in 2015 in Albuquerque]
family from Mission Hills, Kansas
2. Paul Harrison Monroe County
from Westport, Connect.
3. Connie Turner Wilcox County
parents from Laguna Beach, CA and San Anselmo, CA
4. Lolita Katherine Jones – Geneva County [found in 2015 in Santa Barbara]
5. Nancy Nagel – Geneva County, parents in Van Ness (probably Van Nuys, CA)
6. Mary Pjerroed [? by last name – Geneva County
7. Mike Kane – Geneva County
from Los Angeles, Calif
8. Tom Leonard – Geneva County
from Oxnard, Calif
9. Pat Sweeney – Geneva County
Parents address: Edwards A.F.B., Calif (Air Force Base)
10. Diane Courtney – Geneva County
from Huntington Beach Calif
15. Larry Scott Butler – Barbour County
Parents in Clearfield, Pa.
16. David Hoon – Barbour County
Father Rev. Paul W Hoon, West Danville, Vermont
17. Dick Hutch – Barbour County
family in Nutley, N.J.
18. Jimmy Wilson – Barbour County
19. Geraldine Robinson – Barbour County
from Carslisle, Pa.
20. Robert Hilton Friedman – Barbour County
parents in Philadelphia, Penn.
21. G. Robert Smith – Barbour County
father is Arendtsville, Pa
22. R. Scott Chambers – Barbour County [ last known to be working in New Jersey]
father in Riverton, N.J.
23. Michael Laupheimer – Barbour County [lives in NYC as of 2015]
family in Westbury, N.Y.
24. John W. Davis – Clark County
Contact in Baltimore, Md.
25. Joan Fitzpatrick – Clark County
Contact in Kansas City Mo.
26. Mike Farley – Clark County [Mike was assigned to Clark but jailed with us in Wilcox and then went to Newberry SC. and was arrested again]
Originally from San Francisco, Calif.
27. Nance Westman – Clark County
from Richmond, Va.
28. Roosevelt Washington, STAFF, Clark County
Contact is listed in Forkland, Ala.
29. Tom Bauer – Monroe County
30. Bill Barnes – Monroe County [I am seeking this man as possible “Bill” from an incident in Wilcox]
31. Ann Nesbit [elsewhere spelled Nesbitt but one “t” is correct- she has been contacted in Southern California]
35. Bob Block, Wilcox SCLC SCOPE STAFF – He has been contacted in Arkansas
36. Sherry Thurbur (aka Charlotte or Shari) – Wilcox
Greenwich, Conn. [located in Port Isabelle, TX 2015]
37. Lester Marlin Core-Wilcox (but he did not stay or work in Wilcox)
Contact is in Marion, Ala.
38. missing name
39. Peggy Dobbie – Choctaw County
40. Judith Kline – Choctaw County
41. Clara Gregory – Choctaw County
42. Mike Van Lester – Choctaw County
43. Charlie Best – Choctaw County
44. Bond Perry – Choctaw County
Un-numberd and written in pen in upper corner of page:
Charley Henry – Monroe County
45. Dorothy Wright – Choctaw County
46. Judy Harmon – Wilcox County